07/12/2010

"It's not over 'til the fat lady sings"

I decided (as I have far too much time on my hands...) to research the origins of the expression, "It's not over 'til the fat lady sings".  (Also because the title of an earlier blog included the phrase "The Fat Lady has sung now, so basically it's all over.") Turns out that it's actually "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" and according to Wikipedia:
It is a common expression in sports reporting and everyday situations to mean, "it's not over until it's over," similar to the 6th century saying "don't count your chickens before they hatch." Although originally a southern proverb, "Church isn't over until the fat lady sings," its use in sports journalism has been attributed to writer/broadcaster Dan Cook; his original line was "The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings." This occurred in April 1978, when he used the phrase after the first basketball game between the San Antonio Spurs and the Washington BulletsNational Basketball Association playoffs, to illustrate that while the Spurs had won once, the series was not over yet. (now the Washington Wizards) during the 1977-78.
Your thoughts on this blog:
  1. Interesting and informative
  2. Why?
  3. And?
  4. Why aren't you asleep, you have work tomorrow
  5. Seriously, you need to get a life.
So there you go then. This information will of course, be kept in the, disproportionately large, section of my memory bank where I store useless facts. Did you know, for example, that milk and potato quotas are potentially eligible for capital allowances? And (I know you can't start a sentence with "and" but the conjunction was required to ensure the requisite flow) I had a colleague once who's family bought and transported several cows across Europe, in an attempt to avoid "mad cow" infected beef. Actually, now I think about it, that same colleague and his family bought a job lot of coffins that were "going cheap", (one for each family member) on the grounds that they'd need them eventually. I really am off topic now aren't I? Anyway, you get the general gist, useless facts, ramblings of the insane blah, blah.

I am leaning towards (1), but probably because it's midnight and I am wide awake. Common sense tells me it should be (4 or possibly 5). You decide....

No comments:

Post a Comment